Dozens of churches are dotted
among the Škofja Loka hills and valleys. Many of them are adorned by unique
altars, frescoes and glassworks by famous masters, which create an impression
on each and every visitor.
In the village of Suha, in the
midst of fertile fields, stands a solitary monument, acclaimed for its medieval
Slovenian painting from the mid-15th century. The church is adorned by a well-preserved
painted Carniolan presbytery with a star-shaped arch and an early-Baroque
golden altar from 1672.
St. Jacob's Church was built in
1471 on the foundations of a smaller church, at least two hundred years old. It
is adorned with reliefs of guilds and altar patrons, the ceiling is decorated
with frescoes painted in the 16th century by Jernej from Loka. Worthy of
special mention is the black marble Renaissance altar of St. Catherine from
1694 and the picture of Christ on the Mount of Olives dating from the end of
the 17th century. The interior of the church, the altars and the chandeliers
were remodelled according to a plan by the architect Jože Plečnik.
St. Martin's Church was built at
the start of the 20th century in a neo-Romanesque style and is one of the
largest parish churches in Gorenjska. It boasts a 60 metre-high bell tower with
five bells and an impressive organ. According to oral tradition, the original
church existed as far back as the 9th century, however, there is no proof of
this. The church was first mentioned in the Freising deed, dated 3rd May 1384.
The Church of the Annunciation of
Mary is one of the most beautiful pilgrimage churches, which was created over a
long period of time from the end of the 13th century to the mid-19th century.
On the church's bell tower there is a fresco of St. Christopher from 1863. The
church's interior, with its numerous frescoes and golden altar, is of great
This former workhouse in the
'Lontrg' Lower Square (Spodnji trg)
was built in 1547. It was established with the intention that it would house
the town's poor and lame. Špital was damaged by a fire which completely
destroyed 'Lontrg' in 1698, but was later renovated in 1720. Within Špital
there is a simple Baroque church, built in 1710, with a richly decorated
The Capuchin Church, with its library and monastery,
was built in the Baroque era in 1709. The main altar has a picture of St. Ana, a
work of the Venetian school from the 18th century. The library contains
incunabula and old religious books, as well as the valuable manuscript of the Škofja
Loka Passion from 1721, which is the oldest entirely preserved dramatic text in
St. Ana's Church was built in the
17th century on the foundations of the original church. The church is known for
its mighty bells and its good internal acoustics, hence there are often choir
The church was built in 1874 in a
neo-Renaissance style according to plans by F. Faleschini and has been entirely
renovated. It is situated in the central square, which locals call 'Na Plac'. The bell tower is covered
with slate, which was the predominant roof covering characteristic in the Selca
valley up until the mid-20th century. The church is adorned by numerous altars
St. Volbenk's Pilgrimage Church stands
above the Poljane Sora river. It was built in the second half of the 17th
century and has fortified surrounding walls and two bell towers. The three
altars are Baroque, of special value are the altar pictures, the work of the Šubic
family of painters from Poljane. From the church Tavčar Manor is clearly
visible standing in the valley in the embrace of nature.
The Church of Mary Immaculate
lies beneath Loka Castle and is also connected to it. Built in 1358, its
Baroque image dates from 1669 when it was renovated following a fire. The
interior contains valuable tombs, a Baroque stone pulpit and a relief of the
crucifixion on the facade. Following reform in 1782, Clarisa's nunnery, which
operated as part of the church, was dissolved and it was taken over by
Ursulines who opened a girls' school within the castle.
The beginnings of the church date
back to the 14th century, although it was not first mentioned until 1623. Where
once an old building stood, a new church was built in the mid-17th century.
Towards the end of the 20th century it was painted using a true fresco
technique. The historian Valvasor also wrote about the Church of St. John the
Baptist in the village of Sestranska with three altars and the brotherhood of
St. Anthony of Padua.
St. Martin's Parish Church in
Poljane was first mentioned in 1291. Due to damage between the wars, it was
knocked down and in 1967 a new church was built in a different location but
with the same name, according to plans by the architect Anton Bitenc. It is a
modernist church with elements of a traditional architectural style.
The Baroque Church of the Holy
Cross was built at the start of the 18th century on a small hill above Puštal.
In addition to the main altar, which is the work of the Ljubljana Franciscan
carving workshop, it is also adorned with frescoes and paintings. Along the
path which leads up to the church there are 12 shrines of the Stations of the